Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The one where I come back and admit I overreacted...

So a valuable lesson was learned today. When you have homework, you should do it and not wait until right before your class to turn it in! When I told Michael the number I came up with, he gave a look that seemed to imply that I might be under the influence of something and told me I was wrong. I, of course, immediately got defensive, because, hello, I am never wrong. (Ha! I really really hate being wrong!) I immediately started spouting out numbers to him and he is doing the math in his head. When I started running out of numbers to throw out I had that sinking feeling....I might actually be wrong. In this case, I was glad to be wrong. Well I still hate that I was wrong, but the end result of me being wrong was good.

I had over calculated our total debt amount by over 45k. I don't know how. I've been trying to figure it out all evening. It doesn't really matter though, God is good and I  have a sense of peace around me in that aspect. We also sat down and put the numbers into our detailed budget. Again, it turned out to be not nearly as bad as we (well I, since he hasn't really been putting much of anything into for a while) anticipated. We still have a long road ahead of us when it comes to paying things off, but we are not going to survive on beans and rice!

I still am a little resentful about being talked into looking at and then falling for the Escalade, but we are only 2.3% above the range that Dave recommends for transportation. Since we are 1% under his minimum range for housing, I'm going to let it go and enjoy the spaciousness that we have with the Escalade. We still have some room to cut back on things if I get the fire inside me to do it and work on our snowball. Right now we are still plugging to finishing up our emergency fund. Craigslist isn't really helping me out much other than saying good-bye to my massage table. (If anyone is in the market for an armoire, a PS2 with Rock Band {complete with 2 guitars}, or a video camera that would be great for a young aspiring film maker, let me know. I'll make you a deal.)

Another thing we did today, because we have been really really bad about slipping with our giving was put it on AUTO withdraw! Now, we have no excuses. God comes first as it should be I know, I know! We should have been doing this all along, but we are now. I feel much better about things all over.

Thank you to those who shared encouragement and prayers. Next time I get into crazy panic mode will someone smack me and tell me to think it all the way through and put it down on paper? Please! Now I'm off to start reading Dave's book "Total Money Makeover."

Oh and on another bright note, Piper is in big girl panties full time! Even at night! We know there will be a few accidents here and there, but we are in it all the way!!

1 comment:

  1. What a relief for you to be wrong and overestimated. Alternative: underestimating by that much!!

    Yes, last year we had our wake up call. While not on automatic withdrawl our giving is now factored in whereas we let it slip in the previous years. Yes, there have been a few errors on this. I am working on it.

    Agreed, rice and beans will not cut it. We make a plan a budget and yes we do take vacation but it is budgeted in and saved for.

    ReplyDelete